Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Short BR, SW vs. GK



This will be a tactics overview because the game was pretty much a slaughter in my favor.
Mission was Kill Points and deployment was Dawn of War.  Darian got 1 KP from a Rhino at the end of the game to my 8 (leaving on the Dread alive).

The list I ran was the following:

1980
13 kp

HQ:
Wolf Lord (TH/SS, RA, WTN, WTT, Bear) = 230
Rune Priest (Chooser, WTN) = 120

TROOP:
9x Grey Hunters w/ WG (Rhino, PF/cbM, Meltagun, WS, MotW) = 243
9x Grey Hunters w/ WG (Rhino, PF/cbM, Meltagun, WS, MotW) = 243
8x Grey Hunters w/ WG (Rhino, PF/cbM, Meltagun, WS, MotW) = 228

ELITE:
7x WGT (6x PW/CbP, 1x CF/CbP) = 281
in LRC (EA, MM) = 275

HEAVY:
Predator (AC/LC) = 120
Predator (AC/LC) = 120
Predator (AC/LC) = 120

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Darian ran..
2x 7x Grey Knight Terminators
Librarian
2x Stormravens
Psyfleman Dread
10x Purifiers in a Rhino
Dreadknight w/ Heavy Psycannon and Incinerator


I have inserted 3 screenshots to help explain.

First, a screen of the board we played on.  For a board without any terrain from the closet, I actually REALLY liked it.  It looked like a wild Tyranid Hiveworld with all the fauna coming out everywhere.  A good amount of LoS blockers spread out evenly, a few patches of terrain (napkins) and a long lost Imperial missile silo in the middle.  I made the board and I'm pretty proud of that.


The deployment being Dawn of War saw me get 1st turn.
Since we were playing with the entire table and Dawn of War was killer for first turn shooting, I knew I was in a pretty safe distance.  My Preds sat in the back to take advantage of their 48" range and they spread out pretty evenly to maximize pivot, but remain safe to side armor shots by the way Darian came on the board.  Everything else smoked and took refuge and LoS blockers behind the huge alien plantlife.


Once his Stormraven TB'd up the board, my Predators shot at it with everything and gave it 6 penetrating hits.  It explodes shortly after.  Return fire was minimized to the fullest because of range vs. his 48" Dread and AV13 in the front kept me relatively safe.  This, as the Wolves like to call it, is setting the trap.  We normally do this with Long Fangs, but Predators can also work at a discounted price.


This is what us Wolves call, springing the trap.
A is the LRC with Lord + WGT, D is the Rhino w/ Squad pack 1, B is squad pack 2, and C is squad pack 3 with the RP.

The pink Xs are where the Terminators deepstruck in.

B and C moved in such a way that the Rhinos blocked LoS to his Terminator squad (top X, not there anymore), and if he had to move and shoot, I would get cover for the Psycannons.
With the top Terminator squad's ranged efficiency reduced dramatically, both squads B + C can pour all their fire in the bottom Terminator squad.  Combined with the Preds, meltas and bolters, I reduce the squad to 4 dudes, plus they are now in difficult and dangerous cause of Murderous Hurricane.  Btw, Darian made every single Terminator Invulnerable save.  It was the bolters that actually forced enough wounds lol.

So why isn't the top Terminator squad there and its replaced by my Wolf dudes?  Because the LRC moved up, pivoted in such a way that it faced his Stormraven while letting my dudes disembark from the side hatch.  I unload my WGT, and they combi-plasma the fuck out of his Terminators before charging them, annihilating the entire squad.  Despite my best efforts, I could not kill that damn Stormraven with the Rhino's 2 shots with guys that moved 6" and the Pred.

The guys on the table in the back are in transport D.

So basically after decisively crushing 2 squads while taking almost no damage in return, this game was already going into a bad direction.  Darian's attempts to cast sorcery was thwarted by my Rune Priest, his shooting was pitiful compared to my more experienced Grey Hunters, and his Storm Ravens came crashing down all over.  His Purifiers eventually pushed up the board towards my bros by the top X, but my LRC pivoted w/ the Wolf Lord's squad and shot the beejesus out of them before charging in.  They die like regular marines.

I take the head of Darian's Librarian back to the Great Wolf and we feast, drink and arm wrestle.

Just to let you guys know, I will be posting a mixed vehicles and positioning tactica tomorrow.  Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment