Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Armada: Adding the CR90 to the mix

Move like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

For a while now I've been thinking about downgrading one of the ships in my Whaling Fleet down to something cheaper so I can fit in reliable squadrons cover.  I've been trying running two ships and just going super squadron heavy instead of the third ship slot, but I think I like having more activations so I can control the flow of the battlefield more.

So here I am thinking to myself:  What ship can I possibly add to replace the Assault Frigate, but also compliment my fleett?  After much deliberation, math and light trials, I've decided to slot in the CR90 with Turbolaser Reroute Circuits, or TRC for short.  The reason why I chose to go with the CR90 is because it's inexpensive and can potentially cause a lot of damage if left unchecked.  Sure, it's incredibly fragile with only 4 hull points, but the ship can potentially toss out more damage than an Assault Frigate when used correctly.  With Ackbar, you're looking at throwing 3 red dice (4 with CF) at long range that can potentially turn into 2 guaranteed double hit reds with an accuracy.  That's a lot of damage coming from something so small and cheap, and the damage only increases when you get in for that sweet double-arc.  You don't even need Ackbar in this case as you can deliver 3 reds and 2 blues and just turn dice into bigger damage once the evade tokens are of no use to you.  With the CR90, you have a ship that can reliably ping enemy ships for damage, forcing them to spend defense tokens or eat shield damage so you can set up the real damage from the rest of the fleet.  You can also use the CR90 as an opportunist; finding those hard to reach areas to exploit a naked hull zone for guaranteed damage.

This is what I'm talking about right here:

ACKBAR4 
Author: HERO

Faction: Rebel Alliance
Points: 395/400
Commander: Admiral Ackbar

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Fire Lanes
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] MC80 Command Cruiser (106 points)
-  Admiral Ackbar  ( 38  points)
-  Home One  ( 7  points)
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points)
-  Engine Techs  ( 8  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  XI7 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)
-  Leading Shots  ( 4  points)

Assault Frigate Mark II B (72 points)
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  XI7 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)

CR90 Corvette A (44 points)
-  Jaina's Light  ( 2  points)
-  Leia Organa  ( 3  points)
-  Turbolaser Reroute Circuits  ( 7  points)

1 Dash Rendar ( 24 points)
3 A-Wing Squadrons ( 33 points)

Just the upgrades I'm looking for.

OK, so check out this sweet interaction that I have going on with this incredibly cheap and effective Corvette.  It has Jaina's Light for dirt cheap but is arguably one of the most effective upgrades I can possibly have in this list.  The reason for this is because I can hide behind the massive Home One, gain the bonuses of being obstructed myself, but I ignore that when I'm shooting outwards to the enemy.  This means that I can stay at long range if I want to while I'm basically acting like an extra set of long-range guns for the MC80.  Being obstructed yourself also allows you to play a little more ballsy, burning more tokens because your opponent will be naturally down a dice when shooting back at you if he so desires.  When it's time to strike, the Home One activates first with Engine Techs and you burn and turn into an opportune location.

Leia Organa is also there because she's especially good on one command ships.  What she does essentially is allowing me to change the command dials on any of my ships as long as the Corvette activates first.  For example, I decide that I don't really need to navigate next round on Home One and decide I want to CF instead.  Not only do you get that extra dice on the CR90, but now Home One also gets the opportunity to go to town.  This is a very powerful mechanic that allows you to act on the depending on your opponent's actions and can potentially lead to even more explosive damage on turns where it really matters.  It's definitely a more reactionary ability, but a good one at that on the right ship.  With Dash and 3 A-Wings for fleet support, I'm confident that this list is a solid balanced list that can take on anything confidently.

Let me know if you like this new take on Ackbar.

No comments:

Post a Comment