Sunday, November 22, 2015

Armada: Admiral Ozzel doing work

Apparently, getting choked to death only makes you stronger.

I just got my ass handed to me by Admiral Ozzel and man, did I face off against some craziness.  The list I took was pretty standard, running my Ackbar Control but slotting in Dash Rendar to check out what he can bring to the table.  Unfortunately, my opponent showed up with Boba Fett and Bossk and poor Dash, well, died horribly.  I'm not going to cover the entire battle report as I did get really ballsy and took a big gamble.

Check out some of these sick screens:

Strategy: Blue is safe, red is dangerous.  I like dangerous.

I immediately regret this decision.

Boxed in by the Gladiator.

All is lost.

Keep in mind that we talked for a long time after the game about what I most likely would have done in a tournament setting, but I really just wanted to try and see how my list could perform against what seemed like lighter targets.  He had initiative on me and had the activation advantage, but I thought I would have the damage to cover it up.  Boy was I wrong.  As soon as Ozzel full-stopped and angled that Gladiator trapping my Home One, I knew I was done for.  The constant-refreshing Navigate token with Ozzel's super stop put that ISD in prime firing position while I was stuck in there with nowhere to go.  With 11 hull on the ISD, he just rammed me all day while Gunnery Team put out insane amounts of damage.  Once the Gladiator started ramming and adding its ACM to the party, it was as good as done.  I tried to tie up Boba with Dash, but between the constant free damage and Bossk's Grit just totally ignoring Dash (and actually eventually killed the Home One), I called the game at the end of 4.  Sure, I blew up the ISD, but I also lost Home One and my Whale2 was also close to death.

I was totally caught off-guard by just how ridiculous Ozzel is.  His synergy with Wulff is out of control.  My opponent was able to just smack the token on the ISD turn 1 and it basically sat there the entire game until he wanted to change it; changing the speed of the damn thing from 3 to 1 in a heat beat.  Ozzel is also ridiculous with the Raiders.  I was absolutely overwhelmed by how fast they can move, how tight they can turn, and how fast they can change speeds with Ozzel's speed adjustments.  Going from 4 to 2, performing the tightest turns in the world, and flying up my ass with speed 4 again from 2 next turn.  Unbelievable.  Best of all?  His entire list had command 2 for rapid response thanks to the Relentless title on the ISD.  With all the speed changes in his list, the movement on his ships was completely unpredictable.  I had no idea what the ride was about until it was over.

My opponent admitted he was just trying some things and his upgrades were not optimal.  I said no worries man, you played incredibly well and definitely taught me a thing or two.  I absolutely love the Boba and Bossk combo as it really puts a single Dash to shame and is a huge threat to ships and enemy ships as well.  What about a lot of fighters?  Looks like he had both Instigator and Impetuous to do some heavy lifting vs. squadrons: Raider-Is with Ordnance Experts will be ridiculous against swarm tactics.  Plus, the Raiders can just block congo lines all day, stop full force and keep them jammed up while the ISD and Glad goes to town.

It's OK, where his list wasn't perfected, you sure bet I'm going to try to replicate and improve:

OZZEL TYPE1 
Author: HERO

Faction: Galactic Empire
Points: 400/400
Commander: Admiral Ozzel

Assault Objective: Advanced Gunnery
Defense Objective: Contested Outpost
Navigation Objective: Superior Positions

[ flagship ] Imperial II-Class Star Destroyer (120 points)
-  Admiral Ozzel  ( 20  points)
-  Relentless ( 3  points)
-  Intel Officer  ( 7  points)
-  Gunnery Team  ( 7  points)
-  Electronic Countermeasures  ( 7  points)
-  XI7 Turbolasers  ( 6  points)

Gladiator I-Class Star Destroyer (56 points)
-  Demolisher  ( 10  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)
-  Assault Concussion Missiles  ( 7  points)

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Instigator  ( 4  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)

Raider-I Class Corvette (44 points)
-  Impetuous  ( 4  points)
-  Ordnance Experts  ( 4  points)

1 Boba Fett ( 26 points)
1 Bossk ( 23 points)

So what we have here is the original list on steroids.  Rather, it's more focused and puts out more consistent damage.  The ISD is now a death machine with Intel, ECM and XI7s added, and I even have the Intel Officer in there over Wulff just because I prefer the damage.  Keep in mind that Wulff is still very good with Ozzel because of the navigate token procing Ozzel's ability constantly, and the incredible token efficiency that it naturally generates.  I just don't think its very needed because with good command management (and on command 2 mind you), you should be able to maintain control of your speed according to battlefield conditions.  I would much rather like to Intel a Brace token and just having the target eat the damage.  The rest of the list is pretty much history:  Added Demolisher and ACMs to the Gladiator for max damage, and have the Raider-Is take both titles for supreme AA coverage.  Ordnance Experts helps ease out the rolls and increase damage overall against both capital ships and squadrons.  Boba Feet and Bossk will stay in the list because they can absolutely maul fighters and at the same time, pose a huge threat to ships.

I'd like to thank my opponent JafarIronclad for the awesome game and introduction to how to make Ozzel fly.  I hope the rest of you guys learned something new as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment